North Carolina Architects and Builders - A Biographical Dictionary

Coming Soon

NC Architects and Builders is a growing system. We will post this entry as soon as it is ready.

Hook, Charles Christian (1870-1938)

Variant Name(s):
  • Charles C. Hook
Birthplace: Wheeling, West Virginia, USA
Residences:
  • Charlotte, North Carolina
Trades:
  • Architect
NC Work Locations:
  • Morganton, Burke County
  • Burke
  • Concord, Cabarrus County
  • Cabarrus
  • Mount Pleasant, Cabarrus County
  • Cabarrus
  • Lenoir, Caldwell County
  • Caldwell
  • Hickory, Catawba County
  • Catawba
  • Fayetteville, Cumberland County
  • Cumberland
  • Lexington, Davidson County
  • Davidson
  • Mocksville, Davie County
  • Davie
  • Durham, Durham County
  • Durham
  • Belmont, Gaston County
  • Gaston
  • Gastonia, Gaston County
  • Gaston
  • Greensboro, Guilford County
  • Guilford
  • Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
  • Mecklenburg
  • Davidson, Mecklenburg County
  • Mecklenburg
  • Aberdeen, Moore County
  • Moore
  • Chapel Hill, Orange County
  • Orange
  • Greenville, Pitt County
  • Pitt
  • Rockingham, Richmond County
  • Richmond
  • Red Springs, Robeson County
  • Robeson
  • Eden, Rockingham County
  • Rockingham
  • Salisbury, Rowan County
  • Rowan
  • Albemarle, Stanly County
  • Stanly
  • Union County
  • Union
  • Marvin, Union County
  • Union
  • Monroe, Union County
  • Union
  • Raleigh, Wake County
  • Wake
  • Blowing Rock, Watauga County
  • Watauga
Building Types:
  • Commercial;
  • Educational;
  • Fraternal;
  • Public;
  • Recreational;
  • Religious;
  • Residential
Styles & Forms:
  • Beaux-Arts;
  • Chateau Style;
  • Colonial Revival;
  • Gothic Revival;
  • Italianate;
  • Neoclassical Revival;
  • Queen Anne;
  • Renaissance Revival;
  • Romanesque Revival;
  • Shingle Style;
  • Tudor Revival

Masonic Temple [Charlotte]

View larger image and credits

Masonic Temple [Charlotte]

Biography

One of the first leaders in the state's early 20th century architectural profession, Charles Christian Hook (February 18, 1870 - September 17, 1938) moved to Charlotte as a young man in 1890 and practiced in the "Queen City" for the rest of his long career. He was Charlotte's first fulltime professional architect, and one of the most prolific architects in the state in the early 20th century. His practice encompassed three partnerships—Hook and Sawyer, Hook and Rogers, and Hook and Hook—as well as work on his own. His firms' activities extended throughout Piedmont North Carolina and beyond, as far east as Greenville, west to Morganton and beyond, north to Spray and Eden near the Virginia border, and south into South Carolina. Although Hook is best known for his work in the Colonial Revival style, his work encompassed all of the popular styles and building types of his times, from the Queen Anne, Romanesque Revival and Shingle styles through Italianate, Châteauesque, and Renaissance and Neoclassical Revivals, and by the 1920s he was working in a suave and monumental Beaux-Arts classicism. He exemplified the growing tendency of architects to promote themselves through local newspapers and regional journals, especially the Manufacturers' Record of Baltimore, a journal devoted to publicizing news of progress in the South. Between 1891 and 1910 alone, he and his partners published notices for more than 200 projects in that journal, and many more followed in subsequent decades, so that his firms' total production probably reached as high as 800 to 1,000 projects. (Only a few of these are included in the building list; there are many others for which scant information is known.)

Born in Wheeling, West Virginia, Hook graduated from Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri in 1890. Why he selected Charlotte, North Carolina, as his destination is not known, but he moved promptly after graduation to the growing industrial and commercial city, where he was listed in the Charlotte city directories as an Instructor of Drawing at the Charlotte Graded School in 1890, 1891, and 1892. At that time, many ambitious entrepreneurs and others were drawn from far and wide to try their luck in the New South city. In 1891, he began his career as an architect, and continued working until his death in 1938. He married Ida McDonald of an established Charlotte family in 1896, and they had two children, Walter and Rosalie.

Eager to make his mark in the growing city and region, Hook published his first (known) entries in the Manufacturers' Record shortly after arriving in Charlotte, while still teaching at the Charlotte Graded School. In the October 24, 1891, issue, he reported that he had made drawings for a residence for S. Wittowsky in Charlotte, a residence for F. B. McDowell in Blowing Rock, and an Episcopal Church in Blowing Rock, suggesting that he was already attracting prestigious clients. Whether any of these was built is not established. Between 1891 and 1899, Hook listed thirty-two projects in the Manufacturers' Record, including residences, schools, municipal buildings, hotels, and commercial buildings. For some, he reported only that he was making or had made drawings, while for others a contract had been awarded for construction. From 1891 to 1910, nearly every issue of the journal contained a notice from Hook, and more followed in subsequent years.

Hook also used local newspapers to educate the public about architecture while publicizing his practice. Like many Americans, he found that his trip to the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago inspired affection for the white-columned porticoes of the Colonial Revival and other associated revivals. Upon his return from the fair, he suggested in an article in the Charlotte Observer that readers should visit Washington, D.C. on their way to or from the exposition, to learn about the classical orders of architecture and the placement of buildings in well-organized landscapes. In the September 19, 1894, Charlotte Observer he presented the "Typical Southern Home" he had designed for J. Frank Wilkes, "after the true classic style of architecture, which at one time predominated the south and is again being revived"—a design suggesting that Hook was the "father" of the Colonial Revival style in Charlotte.

Complementing his publicity in print, Hook was a shrewd businessman who made important contacts early in his career. One of his earliest associations was with the Charlotte Consolidated Construction Company ("the 4 C's"), the developers of Dilworth, Charlotte's first suburb. Lead developer Edward Dilworth Latta initially employed Hook to design several "new-style" houses for the neighborhood to promote sales. Among the first residences Hook planned in Dilworth was the Mallonee-Jones House (1895), home of another developer of the suburb and one of Hook's last works in the eclectic Queen Anne style. Hook continued to design houses for Dilworth in a variety of styles over the years.

By 1898, Hook had established the first of his three architectural partnerships. Hook joined with New Yorker Frank McMurray Sawyer to form Hook and Sawyer, which operated from 1898 to 1905 and reported 103 projects to the Manufacturers' Record. In this, as in later partnerships, it is difficult or impossible to know which man designed which buildings or what their division of tasks may have been. The firm employed a few other workers, probably draftsmen, and a boy named Kenneth Whitsett to run blueprints. Whitsett later recalled, "I could only work on days when there was sun. I ran blueprints onto the main roof of the Trust Building, and waited for the sun to come out. . . . I'd watch people on the street, and a man plowing out on a farm. When he got to the other end of the field, I'd pull the blueprint in." (Kratt and Hanchett, Legacy). As partners, Hook and Sawyer planned numerous buildings in Charlotte, both downtown and in the new Charlotte suburbs of Hill Crest, Colonial Heights, Wilmore, and Piedmont Park. They also gained a series of major commissions that extended their reach far beyond Charlotte.

In 1902 the pair published Some Designs of Hook & Sawyer, Architects, 1892-1902, which featured houses, apartment houses, business buildings, and hotels, as well as institutional and government buildings. The booklet showed projects as far away as Greensboro, Durham, Greenville, Spray, and South Carolina. Some of the designs predated the partnership, however, thus making specific attributions uncertain. (In addition, Hook continued to report his own works to the Manufacturers' Record well after he began the partnership with Sawyer.) Especially important, the Hook and Sawyer booklet showed that in addition to the Colonial Revival style, Hook and Sawyer worked in a broad range of styles, including various amalgams of Italianate, Romanesque, Queen Anne, and Shingle styles. They especially favored public buildings with campanile-like towers, Flemish curved gables, and decorative brickwork. Although several of their most dramatic and eclectic designs were built, few have survived, thus skewing the standing record of the firm toward the conservative and the classical.

Hook and Sawyer also published plans and articles in the Charlotte Observer. In the December 20, 1903, issue Hook accompanied their drawing of a Colonial Revival style house with a lengthy commentary suggesting links between the architectural and political trends of the time:

"In ante-bellum days when a home was built of any pretentions [sic] the owner and designer as a rule was an educated gentleman of refinement, and being familiar with the classics and having other colonial work as models took pains to preserve the proper proportions and details in general. After the great conflict and things being reversed in general we find in greater reversal in architecture than any other sign of the times.

Why was it? Because the illiterate and unrefined being new to wealth desired display more than purity, and the cultured and once wealthy were either too poor to build or were too busy during the reconstruction period that they had no time to devote to art. So all consented to do the most foolish of all things, that was to delegate as the designers of their homes, the most ignorant class of men, in fact, any jack-leg who could wield a hatchet and saw was considered thoroughly competent to do one of the important of all things for a man, i.e., design his home. As the times have advanced all colonial details and proportions were discarded as being "old timey," the jack-leg carpenter with the deadly jig-saw ran riot throughout the land. Finally an attempt was made at better architecture by the adaptation of the Queen Anne style and French and Italian villas, but these were quickly brought into bad repute by the ever convenient jig-saw artist. Out of all of this chaos we again have a revival of the colonial. Its symmetry, restfulness and good proportions generally caused it to rise superior to all other schools of design.

Beyond doubt the colonial style in its purity expresses more real refined sentiment and is more intimately associated with our history than any of the styles mentioned. It is not only an association of English history with our own but it expresses authentic memoirs of the American people themselves. We wish not to condemn any other style, for in fact, we are personally partial to the ingenious adaptation of the composite; but we must condemn the garbled colonial architecture. The use of colonial details in the composite style is accepted as in good taste, but where we attempt the colonial with the stately portico we are, bound to refrain from sacrificing purity of design and symmetry, to fashion and display."

Beyond his promotion of the Colonial Revival, Hook and his partners were well versed in all the architectural styles of the time and could render any of these to suit the client. By 1904 the partnership had expanded sufficiently to establish offices in both Durham and Greensboro. In 1905, however, the partnership dissolved.

Later in 1905, Hook established a partnership with Willard G. Rogers. Rogers had moved to Charlotte from Cincinnati, Ohio, around 1900 as an architect for the engineering firm of Stuart W. Cramer. The partnership of Hook and Rogers picked up where Hook's previous firm left off and covered the gamut of building types and styles. Especially important was their collegiate work during a period when both public and private colleges and universities were expanding. Their collegiate work included prestigious commissions at Trinity College (predecessor of Duke University) in Durham, Davidson College in Davidson near Charlotte, Queens College in Charlotte, Guilford College in Greensboro, the State Normal and Industrial School (now University of North Carolina at Greensboro) in Greensboro, St. Mary's School in Raleigh, and, with New Bern architect Herbert W. Simpson, the newly established East Carolina Teachers College (now East Carolina University) in Greenville. Their designs for these continued within the generally classical and Colonial Revival modes Hook and Sawyer had established. Some were in red brick, others in tan brick, and many had tile roofs. Hook and Rogers's productive partnership continued until 1916, when the two men decided to operate independently.

One of Hook's longest-running architectural relationships, continuing through various partnerships, was with Trinity College (later Duke University) in Durham. From 1895 to 1925, Hook served as architect for the young college, working directly with the college president William P. Few. His buildings were of brick in his characteristic free classical design vocabulary, some with tile roofs. As discussed by Charlotte V. Brown in Architects and Builders in North Carolina, Hook's surviving correspondence with Few (from 1910 onward) is extensive and informative, illustrating their ongoing relationship, issues in the design process, and the means of communication in the period. Few, like clients of other architects, wished that Hook could provide designs more quickly and visit the work site more often. But Hook assured him on November 11, 1912, that his speed of design and frequency of visits was better than the norm. "The custom is to visit about every two or three weeks, we visit about every week or ten days, we are told by contractors and other architects, that we visit the works more frequently than others." Later Few stated that Hook had "from first to last given entire satisfaction." Although in the 1920s and 1930s the firm of Horace Trumbauer and his principal designer Julian Abele transformed much of Duke's East Campus and created the new West Campus, some of Hook's work on Duke University's East Campus still survives, most notably the East Duke Building and West Duke Building.

As well as forming lasting relationships with institutions, Hook and his partners also built a prestigious and rewarding clientele among the state's New South business leaders. Prime among these was the Duke family, state and national leaders first in the tobacco industry, then in textiles and hydroelectric power. Hook's work at Trinity College tied him to its chief sponsors, the Duke family, and he also designed civic buildings funded by the family. He planned a house in Durham called Four Acres for Benjamin N. Duke, and later expanded a residence to create the James B. Duke Mansion in Charlotte. For Duke business associate James Stagg, he planned Greystone, one of the few surviving pre-1920s mansions in Durham. Hook also built for industrial leaders farther west such as the Lineberger family in Gaston County, and hydroelectric power developer E. B. C. Hambley in Salisbury.

During this period, Hook led in promoting professionalism in architecture. The first organization of professional architects in North Carolina came in 1906, when a small group of primarily Charlotte architects including Hook formed the North Carolina Architectural Association (NCAA). In 1913 several architects succeeded in chartering the North Carolina Chapter of the AIA (NCAIA) with twelve members. There were tensions between the two associations, and Hook was one of the Charlotte architects who did not readily join the NCAIA. Two years later, however, with the support of both groups, "An Act to Regulate the Practice of Architecture and Creating a Board of Examiners and Registration of Same" was passed, making North Carolina one of the first states in the nation to license architects. As a member of the NCAA, Hook served on the first North Carolina Board of Architectural Registration and Examination, established in 1915. The board consisted of members from both the NCAA and the NCAIA. Hook was one of the first licensed architects in North Carolina. His license certificate, issued in 1915, was #15 in the official registration book of the North Carolina Board of Architecture, one of the early group of men who were licensed in the state based on their having been in professional practice prior to the licensing act of 1915.

After 1916, Hook practiced alone until 1924, when he formed a partnership with his son Walter. The firm of Hook and Hook became one of the most reputable and prolific in Charlotte and the Piedmont, and were especially well known for their work in hospital and health facilities. The partnership lasted until the elder Hook's mysterious death in 1938. On September 17 of that year, the architect went to his office despite suffering from vertigo that morning. At the office he told a mail carrier that he was feeling ill, and went into the washroom to splash his face. When he leaned over to replace his towel on the towel bar he evidently fell out the window. The coroner found that the 12-story fall was an accident. He was survived by his wife, Ida, his son and partner Walter, and his daughter Rosalie.

Walter Hook continued to practice architecture in Charlotte until his death in 1963. He was a respected leader in the field who specialized in health facilities. His work included Mercy Hospital, Carolinas Medical Center, and Presbyterian Hospital in Charlotte, and the Veteran's Administration Hospital in Salisbury. C. C. Hook's grandson, Rosalie's son Charles Gwathmey, also followed the architectural tradition of the family. He became one of the leading postmodernists in the country during the late 20th century as the principal for Gwathmey-Siegel Architects, a firm based in New York City.

Note: The following building list is a selective one, focusing on the best-known and representative buildings that scholars know were built at identifiable locations. For a more complete listing of references to the works of Hook and his firms in the Manufacturers' Record between 1894 and 1910, see Michael, "The Rise of the Regional Architect." Comparison of this list with published architectural survey books may pin down additional key examples not previously associated with Hook. Further examination of later issues of the Manufacturers' Record will reveal many more projects. Illustrations of several buildings and proposed buildings not included in the list, and for which additional research is also required, can be found in Hook and Sawyer, Some Designs of Hook and Sawyer (1902).

Author: Michelle Ann Michael. Editor: Catherine W. Bishir.

Published 2009

Building List

Union County Courthouse (Monroe, Union County)

Union Monroe

1887

Contributors:
Dates: 1887-1888; 1926 [additions]
Location: Monroe, Union County
Street Address: Courthouse Square, Monroe, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Public
Images Published In:
  • Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Piedmont North Carolina (2003).
  • Suzanne S. Pickens, ed., Sweet Union: An Architectural and Historical Survey of Union County, North Carolina (1990).
Note:

The Union County Courthouse was originally designed by Thomas J. Holt. C. C. Hook and his son Walter were the architects for the 1926 additions.

Union County Courthouse

First Presbyterian Church Sunday School and Auditorium (Greensboro, Guilford County)

Guilford Greensboro

1903

Variant Name(s):
  • Greensboro Historical Museum
Contributors:
Dates: 1903
Location: Greensboro, Guilford County
Street Address: 220 Church St., Greensboro, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Religious
Images Published In:
  • Marvin A. Brown, Greensboro: An Architectural Record (1995).
  • Hook and Sawyer, Some Designs by Hook & Sawyer, Architects, Charlotte, N.C. (1902).
Note:

The large, Romanesque Revival building was erected as an addition to First Presbyterian Church built in 1892 and designed by L. B. Volk and Son. The pair of brick edifices now houses the local history museum. The congregation subsequently built and moved to First Presbyterian Church (1928-1929), designed by Hobart Upjohn and Harry Barton and located in the Fisher Park suburb (see entries for Hobart Upjohn and Harry Barton).

First Presbyterian Church Sunday School and Auditorium

Spencer Hall (Greensboro, Guilford County)

Guilford Greensboro

1904

Variant Name(s):
  • New Dormitory
Contributors:
Dates: 1904;1907
Location: Greensboro, Guilford County
Street Address: University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Educational
Images Published In:
  • Marvin A. Brown, Greensboro: An Architectural Record (1995).
Note:

Spencer Hall is the principal surviving building by Hook at present University of North Carolina at Greensboro (the State Normal and Industrial College), where he also planned other buildings including an auditorium, a library, and other dormitories. When completed it was described as largest women's dormitory in the country under one roof. The Julius Isaac Foust Papers at University of North Carolina at Greenboro University Archives & Manuscripts includes correspondence with the firm of Hook and Rogers (1910s) and Thomas Sears (1920s) about construction of campus buildings and landscaping. Attached to a 1904 Hook letter is a photograph of a rendering of Spencer Hall by Hook. Spencer Hall was named for Cornelia Phillips Spencer, advocate of education for women.

Agriculture Building (Raleigh, Wake County)

Wake Raleigh

1903

Variant Name(s):
  • Patterson Hall
Contributors:
Dates: 1903-1905; 1924 [renovated]; 1930 [renovated]; 1940 [renovated]
Location: Raleigh, Wake County
Street Address: North Carolina State University Campus, Raleigh, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Educational
Images Published In:
  • Marguerite E. Schumann, Strolling at State: A Walking Guide to North Carolina State University (1973).
Note:

The Manufacturers' Record (July 21, 1904) announced that S. L. Patterson, commissioner of agriculture, was to open bids on August 2nd for construction of the agriculture building for the N. C. College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts. Potential bidders could view plans at the commissioner's office or "at the office of Hook and Sawyer, architects, Charlotte, Greensboro, Raleigh." This is a recent link with the architects for this prominent building at the university. Patterson Hall is said to have been modeled after the agriculture building at Ohio State University.

Agriculture Building

Avery Avenue School (Morganton, Burke County)

Burke Morganton

1921

Contributors:
Dates: 1921
Location: Morganton, Burke County
Street Address: 200 Avery Ave., Morganton, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Educational
Images Published In:
  • Catherine W. Bishir, Michael T. Southern, and Jennifer F. Martin, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Western North Carolina (1999).

Pythian Building (Concord, Cabarrus County)

Cabarrus Concord

1902

Contributors:
Dates: 1902
Location: Concord, Cabarrus County
Street Address: 36-40 S. Union St., Concord, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Fraternal
Images Published In:
  • Hook and Sawyer, Some Designs by Hook & Sawyer, Architects, Charlotte, N.C. (1902).
  • Peter R. Kaplan, The Historic Architecture of Cabarrus County, North Carolina (2004).
Note:

Hook and Sawyer's drawing for the boldly composed 3-story building of rusticated stone is featured in Some Designs of Hook and Sawyer (1902). It is one of the landmarks of downtown Concord.

Pythian Building

Concord City Hall (Concord, Cabarrus County)

Cabarrus Concord

1903

Contributors:
Dates: 1903
Location: Concord, Cabarrus County
Street Address: S. Union St., Concord, NC
Status: No longer standing
Type:
  • Public
Images Published In:
  • Hook and Sawyer, Some Designs by Hook & Sawyer, Architects, Charlotte, N.C. (1902).
  • Peter R. Kaplan, The Historic Architecture of Cabarrus County, North Carolina (2004).
Note:

The drawing for the Concord City Hall featured in Hook and Sawyer (1902) showed an eclectic blend of Renaissance and Italianate motifs, including a campanile-like fire tower on the right. As shown in a photograph (Kaplan, Cabarrus County), however, the building had the tower on the left.

Concord City Hall

D. L. Bost House (Concord, Cabarrus County)

Cabarrus Concord

1905

Contributors:
Dates: 1905
Location: Concord, Cabarrus County
Street Address: 154 S. Union St., Concord, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Residential
Images Published In:
  • Peter R. Kaplan, The Historic Architecture of Cabarrus County, North Carolina (2004).

Misenheimer-James House (Mount Pleasant, Cabarrus County)

Cabarrus Mount Pleasant

1800

Contributors:
Dates: Late 19th century; 1915 [remodeled]
Location: Mount Pleasant, Cabarrus County
Street Address: 311 S. Main St., Mount Pleasant, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Residential
Images Published In:
  • Peter R. Kaplan, The Historic Architecture of Cabarrus County, North Carolina (2004).
Note:

A late 19th century house was remodeled into a Colonial Revival-bungalow hybrid design by Hook and Rogers. The stonework was done by noted local African-American stonemason Robert Franklin Lynn.

Lenoir Building (Lenoir, Caldwell County)

Caldwell Lenoir

1908

Contributors:
Dates: Ca. 1908
Location: Lenoir, Caldwell County
Street Address: 808 West Ave., Lenoir, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Commercial
Images Published In:
  • Catherine W. Bishir, Michael T. Southern, and Jennifer F. Martin, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Western North Carolina (1999).

Lenoir Building

Hickory Municipal Building (Hickory, Catawba County)

Catawba Hickory

1921

Contributors:
Dates: 1921
Location: Hickory, Catawba County
Street Address: 30 3rd St. NW., Hickory, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Public
Images Published In:
  • Albert Keiser, Jr. and Angela May, From Tavern to Town, Revisited: An Architectural History of Hickory, NC (2004).

Hickory Municipal Building

Walter Holt House (Fayetteville, Cumberland County)

Cumberland Fayetteville

1900

Contributors:
Dates: Ca. 1900
Location: Fayetteville, Cumberland County
Street Address: 806 Hay St., Fayetteville, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Residential

First Presbyterian Church (Mocksville, Davie County)

Davie Mocksville

1905

Contributors:
Dates: 1905
Location: Mocksville, Davie County
Street Address: 261 S. Main St., Mocksville, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Religious
Images Published In:
  • Kirk Franklin Mohney, The Historic Architecture of Davie County, North Carolina: An Inventory Analysis and Documentary Catalogue (1986).
Note:

The Romanesque Revival brick building is said to incorporate the walls of the 1840 meeting house that preceded it.

Southern Conservatory of Music (Durham, Durham County)

Durham Durham

1900

Contributors:
Dates: 1900
Location: Durham, Durham County
Street Address: SW corner of Main St. and Duke St., Durham, NC
Status: No longer standing
Type:
  • Educational
Images Published In:
  • Jean Bradley Anderson, Durham County: A History of Durham County, North Carolina (1990).
Note:

The Southern Conservatory of Music was established in 1898 and in 1900 the Duke family sponsored construction of a substantial building in memory of Mary Duke Lyon, the only daughter of Washington Duke, who died in 1893.

Southern Conservatory of Music

Robert Flowers House (Durham, Durham County)

Durham Durham

1900

Contributors:
Dates: Ca. 1900-1910
Location: Durham, Durham County
Street Address: Duke University, Durham, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Residential
Images Published In:
  • Claudia P. Roberts (Brown) and Diane E. Lea, The Durham Architectural and Historic Inventory (1982).

Durham Municipal Building and Auditorium (Durham, Durham County)

Durham Durham

1902

Variant Name(s):
  • Academy of Music
Contributors:
Dates: 1902-1904
Location: Durham, Durham County
Street Address: Corcoran St., Durham, NC
Status: No longer standing
Type:
  • Public
Images Published In:
  • Claudia P. Roberts (Brown) and Diane E. Lea, The Durham Architectural and Historic Inventory (1982).

Durham Municipal Building and Auditorium

Trust Building (Durham, Durham County)

Durham Durham

1904

Contributors:
Dates: 1904-1905
Location: Durham, Durham County
Street Address: 212 W. Main St., Durham, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Commercial
Images Published In:
  • Claudia P. Roberts (Brown) and Diane E. Lea, The Durham Architectural and Historic Inventory (1982).
Note:

According to the Manufacturers' Record (Feb. 25, 1904) Hook and Sawyer designed this commercial building for contractor Norman Underwood. When it was built, the 6-story building was one of the tallest in town. The Trust Building is pictured on the left.

Trust Building

Bivins Hall (Durham, Durham County)

Durham Durham

1905

Contributors:
Dates: 1905
Location: Durham, Durham County
Street Address: Duke University East Campus, Durham, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Educational
Images Published In:
  • Claudia P. Roberts (Brown) and Diane E. Lea, The Durham Architectural and Historic Inventory (1982).

East Duke Building (Durham, Durham County)

Durham Durham

1910

Contributors:
Dates: Ca. 1910
Location: Durham, Durham County
Street Address: Duke University, Durham, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Educational
Images Published In:
  • Claudia P. Roberts (Brown) and Diane E. Lea, The Durham Architectural and Historic Inventory (1982).
Note:

The East Duke Building is the right, tan-colored building pictured in the bottom right corner of the image.

East Duke Building

West Duke Building (Durham, Durham County)

Durham Durham

1910

Contributors:
Dates: Ca. 1910
Location: Durham, Durham County
Street Address: Duke University, Durham, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Educational
Images Published In:
  • Claudia P. Roberts (Brown) and Diane E. Lea, The Durham Architectural and Historic Inventory (1982).
Note:

The West Duke Building is the left, tan-colored building pictured in the bottom right corner of the image.

West Duke Building

Four Acres (Durham, Durham County)

Durham Durham

1908

Variant Name(s):
  • Benjamin N. Duke House
Contributors:
Dates: 1908
Location: Durham, Durham County
Street Address: Chapel Hill St. at Duke St., Durham, NC
Status: No longer standing
Type:
  • Residential
Images Published In:
  • Joel A. Kostyu and Frank A. Kostyu, Durham: A Pictorial History (1978).
Note:

The immense residence called Four Acres was built for tobacco industrialist Benjamin N. Duke on the site of his previous residence. The North Carolina Mutual Insurance building now occupies the elevated, prominent site.

Four Acres

Greystone (Durham, Durham County)

Durham Durham

1911

Variant Name(s):
  • James F. Stagg House
Contributors:
Dates: 1911
Location: Durham, Durham County
Street Address: 618 Morehead Ave., Durham, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Residential
Images Published In:
  • Joel A. Kostyu and Frank A. Kostyu, Durham: A Pictorial History (1978).
  • Claudia P. Roberts (Brown) and Diane E. Lea, The Durham Architectural and Historic Inventory (1982).
Note:

Built for an associate of the Duke family, Greystone is one of the few examples surviving of Durham's pre-1920 mansions.

Alumni Memorial Gymnasium (Durham, Durham County)

Durham Durham

1923

Contributors:
Dates: 1923
Location: Durham, Durham County
Street Address: Duke University, Durham, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Recreational
Images Published In:
  • Claudia P. Roberts (Brown) and Diane E. Lea, The Durham Architectural and Historic Inventory (1982).

Abel Caleb Lineberger Sr. House I (Belmont, Gaston County)

Gaston Belmont

1910

Contributors:
Dates: 1910
Location: Belmont, Gaston County
Street Address: 203 N. Main St., Belmont, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Residential
Images Published In:
  • Kim Withers Brengle, The Architectural Heritage of Gaston County, North Carolina (1982).

Abel Caleb Lineberger Sr. House II (Belmont, Gaston County)

Gaston Belmont

1919

Contributors:
Dates: 1919-1921
Location: Belmont, Gaston County
Street Address: 411 N. Main St., Belmont, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Residential
Images Published In:
  • Catherine W. Bishir, North Carolina Architecture (1990).
  • Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Piedmont North Carolina (2003).
  • Kim Withers Brengle, The Architectural Heritage of Gaston County, North Carolina (1982).

Abel Caleb Lineberger Sr. House II

Piedmont and Northern Railway Depot (Belmont, Gaston County)

Gaston Belmont

1915

Contributors:
Dates: 1915
Location: Belmont, Gaston County
Street Address: 4 N. Main St., Belmont, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Transportation
Images Published In:
  • Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Piedmont North Carolina (2003).
  • Kim Withers Brengle, The Architectural Heritage of Gaston County, North Carolina (1982).

Piedmont and Northern Railway Depot

John Love Buildings (Gastonia, Gaston County)

Gaston Gastonia

1904

Contributors:
Dates: 1904, ca. 1906-1908
Location: Gastonia, Gaston County
Street Address: 213-223 W. Main Ave., Gastonia, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Commercial
Images Published In:
  • Kim Withers Brengle, The Architectural Heritage of Gaston County, North Carolina (1982).
Note:

In 1899 and 1906 the Manufacturers' Record carried news of Hook's firms designing office buildings for John Love, which may be these.

United States Post Office (Gastonia, Gaston County)

Gaston Gastonia

1935

Contributors:
Dates: 1935
Location: Gastonia, Gaston County
Street Address: 301 W. Main St., Gastonia, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Public
Images Published In:
  • Kim Withers Brengle, The Architectural Heritage of Gaston County, North Carolina (1982).

United States Post Office

Greensboro Loan and Trust Company (Greensboro, Guilford County)

Guilford Greensboro

1902

Contributors:
Dates: 1902
Location: Greensboro, Guilford County
Street Address: 319-321 S. Elm St., Greensboro, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Commercial
Images Published In:
  • Marvin A. Brown, Greensboro: An Architectural Record (1995).
  • Hook and Sawyer, Some Designs by Hook & Sawyer, Architects, Charlotte, N.C. (1902).
Note:

The street level façade has been replaced, but the upper stories of the façade remain as designed by Hook and Sawyer.

Martin Chemical Laboratory Building (Davidson, Mecklenburg County)

Mecklenburg Davidson

1901

Contributors:
Dates: 1901
Location: Davidson, Mecklenburg County
Street Address: Davidson College, Davidson, NC
Status: No longer standing
Type:
  • Educational
Images Published In:
  • Mary Norton Kratt and Mary Manning Boyer, Remembering Charlotte: Postcards from a New South City, 1905-1950 (2000).
Note:

Hook and Hook and Sawyer planned several buildings for Davidson College, but none of them is known to survive. The Martin Chemical Laboratory, which housed science facilities, stood until 1941.

Martin Chemical Laboratory Building

Gautier-Gilchrist House (Charlotte, Mecklenburg County)

Mecklenburg Charlotte

1897

Contributors:
Dates: 1897
Location: Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
Street Address: 320 Park Ave., Charlotte, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Residential

Villalonga-Alexander House (Charlotte, Mecklenburg County)

Mecklenburg Charlotte

1900

Contributors:
Dates: 1900
Location: Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
Street Address: 301 E. Park Ave., Charlotte, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Residential
Images Published In:
  • Mary Norton Kratt, Charlotte, Spirit of the New South (1992).

Villalonga-Alexander House

Trust Building and Academy of Music (Charlotte, Mecklenburg County)

Mecklenburg Charlotte

1901

Contributors:
Dates: 1901-1902
Location: Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
Street Address: 210-212 S. Tryon St., Charlotte, NC
Status: No longer standing
Type:
  • Commercial
Images Published In:
  • Mary Norton Kratt and Mary Manning Boyer, Remembering Charlotte: Postcards from a New South City, 1905-1950 (2000).
  • William T. Simmons and Lindsay L. Brooks, Charlotte and Mecklenburg County: A Pictorial History (1977).
Note:

The ornate 6-story office building, featuring classical and Chateauesque details, was one of the largest and tallest in downtown Charlotte at its completion. It contained an opera house known as the Academy of Music. It burned in 1922. The building is shown at the center of this block.

Trust Building and Academy of Music

Walter Brem House (Charlotte, Mecklenburg County)

Mecklenburg Charlotte

1902

Contributors:
Dates: 1902
Location: Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
Street Address: 211 East Blvd., Charlotte, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Residential

YMCA (Charlotte, Mecklenburg County)

Mecklenburg Charlotte

1907

Contributors:
Dates: 1907-1908
Location: Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
Street Address: Charlotte, NC
Status: No longer standing
Type:
  • Recreational
Images Published In:
  • Mary Norton Kratt and Mary Manning Boyer, Remembering Charlotte: Postcards from a New South City, 1905-1950 (2000).
  • William T. Simmons and Lindsay L. Brooks, Charlotte and Mecklenburg County: A Pictorial History (1977).
Note:

The YMCA is pictured on the left.

YMCA

McCoy House (Charlotte, Mecklenburg County)

Mecklenburg Charlotte

1909

Contributors:
Dates: 1909-1910
Location: Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
Street Address: 429 E. Kingston Ave., Charlotte, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Residential

Cole Manufacturing Plant (Charlotte, Mecklenburg County)

Mecklenburg Charlotte

1909

Contributors:
Dates: 1909-1911
Location: Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
Street Address: Charlotte, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Industrial

YWCA Building (Charlotte, Mecklenburg County)

Mecklenburg Charlotte

1912

Contributors:
Dates: 1912-1914
Location: Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
Street Address: 418 E. Trade St., Charlotte, NC
Status: No longer standing
Type:
  • Recreational
Images Published In:
  • Mary Norton Kratt and Mary Manning Boyer, Remembering Charlotte: Postcards from a New South City, 1905-1950 (2000).

YWCA Building

VanLandingham House (Charlotte, Mecklenburg County)

Mecklenburg Charlotte

1913

Contributors:
Dates: 1913
Location: Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
Street Address: 2010 The Plaza, Charlotte, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Residential

Masonic Temple (Charlotte, Mecklenburg County)

Mecklenburg Charlotte

1914

Contributors:
Dates: 1914
Location: Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
Street Address: 329 S. Tryon St., Charlotte, NC
Status: No longer standing
Type:
  • Fraternal
Images Published In:
  • Mary Norton Kratt and Mary Manning Boyer, Remembering Charlotte: Postcards from a New South City, 1905-1950 (2000).
Note:

The imposing Egyptian Revival style Masonic temple was among the state's premier examples of its style and type. It was razed in 1987, and its massive lotus columns were reused in Rock Hill, South Carolina.

Masonic Temple

Queens College (Charlotte, Mecklenburg County)

Mecklenburg Charlotte

1914

Contributors:
Dates: 1914-1919
Location: Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
Street Address: 1900 Selwyn Ave., Charlotte, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Educational
Images Published In:
  • Mary Norton Kratt and Mary Manning Boyer, Remembering Charlotte: Postcards from a New South City, 1905-1950 (2000).
Note:

Hook designed five original red brick buildings for present Queens College (Presbyterian College for Women) on the campus it opened near Myers Park suburb in 1914. (The school had been located downtown previously.) He also planned some subsequent buildings. The original five buildings are now known as Watkins Art Building, Hayes Hall, Burwell Hall, Jernigan Hall, and McEwen Hall.

Queens College

Charlotte Passenger Station (Charlotte, Mecklenburg County)

Mecklenburg Charlotte

1916

Contributors:
Dates: 1916-1917
Location: Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
Street Address: 1000 N. Tryon St., Charlotte, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Transportation

James B. Duke Mansion (Charlotte, Mecklenburg County)

Mecklenburg Charlotte

1915

Variant Name(s):
  • White Oaks;
  • Lynnewood
Contributors:
Dates: 1915; 1919
Location: Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
Street Address: 400 Hermitage Rd., Charlotte, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Residential
Note:

The large frame house was built for Southern Power Company executive Z. V. Taylor, then acquired by James B. Duke, who wanted a home in Charlotte near headquarters of his Southern Power Company. Duke had Hook triple the size of the residence.

James B. Duke Mansion

Charlotte Women's Club (Charlotte, Mecklenburg County)

Mecklenburg Charlotte

1923

Contributors:
Dates: 1923
Location: Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
Street Address: 1001 E. Morehead St., Charlotte, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Public

William Henry Belk House (Charlotte, Mecklenburg County)

Mecklenburg Charlotte

1924

Contributors:
Dates: 1924
Location: Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
Street Address: 200 Hawthorne Ln., Charlotte, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Residential

Charlotte City Hall (Charlotte, Mecklenburg County)

Mecklenburg Charlotte

1923

Contributors:
Dates: 1923-1925
Location: Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
Street Address: 600 E. Trade St., Charlotte, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Public
Images Published In:
  • Mary Norton Kratt and Mary Manning Boyer, Remembering Charlotte: Postcards from a New South City, 1905-1950 (2000).

Charlotte City Hall

Century Building (Charlotte, Mecklenburg County)

Mecklenburg Charlotte

1924

Contributors:
Dates: 1924-1926
Location: Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
Street Address: 408-412 W. Trade St., Charlotte, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Commercial

Gateway Building (Charlotte, Mecklenburg County)

Mecklenburg Charlotte

1924

Contributors:
Dates: 1924-1926
Location: Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
Street Address: 402-404 W. Trade St., Charlotte, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Commercial

Carolina Theater (Charlotte, Mecklenburg County)

Mecklenburg Charlotte

1927

Contributors:
Dates: 1927
Location: Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
Street Address: 224 N. Tryon St., Charlotte, NC
Status: Altered
Type:
  • Commercial
Note:

The theater, a grand movie palace in its day, was destroyed except for part of the façade and has been rebuilt.

Myers Park Elementary School (Charlotte, Mecklenburg County)

Mecklenburg Charlotte

1928

Contributors:
Dates: 1928
Location: Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
Street Address: 2132 Radcliffe Ave., Charlotte, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Educational

Charlotte Fire Station No. 6 (Charlotte, Mecklenburg County)

Mecklenburg Charlotte

1929

Contributors:
Dates: 1929
Location: Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
Street Address: 249 S. Laurel Ave., Charlotte, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Public

Charlotte Fire Station No. 6

United States Post Office and Courthouse (Charlotte, Mecklenburg County)

Mecklenburg Charlotte

1915

Variant Name(s):
  • Charles Jonas Federal Building
Contributors:
Dates: 1915-1918; 1934
Location: Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
Street Address: 401 W. Trade St., Charlotte, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Public
Images Published In:
  • William T. Simmons and Lindsay L. Brooks, Charlotte and Mecklenburg County: A Pictorial History (1977).

United States Post Office and Courthouse

John Blue House (Aberdeen, Moore County)

Moore Aberdeen

1888

Contributors:
Dates: Ca. 1888; 1903
Location: Aberdeen, Moore County
Street Address: 200 Blue St., Aberdeen, NC
Status: No longer standing
Type:
  • Residential

Masonic Building (Greenville, Pitt County)

Pitt Greenville

1902

Contributors:
Dates: 1902
Location: Greenville, Pitt County
Street Address: Greenville, NC
Status: No longer standing
Type:
  • Fraternal
Images Published In:
  • Michael Cotter, ed., The Architectural Heritage of Greenville, North Carolina (1988).

Jarvis Hall (Greenville, Pitt County)

Pitt Greenville

1909

Contributors:
Dates: 1909
Location: Greenville, Pitt County
Street Address: East Carolina University, Greenville, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Educational
Images Published In:
  • Michael Cotter, ed., The Architectural Heritage of Greenville, North Carolina (1988).
Note:

Jarvis Hall is one of the most intact of several buildings designed at present East Carolina University by Hook and Rogers and Herbert W. Simpson, typically in red brick with red tile roofs. The college was established in 1907, and these architects designed the earliest part of the campus.

Proctor Hotel (Greenville, Pitt County)

Pitt Greenville

1912

Variant Name(s):
  • Minges Building
Contributors:
Dates: 1912
Location: Greenville, Pitt County
Street Address: 300 block S. Evans St., Greenville, NC
Status: Altered
Type:
  • Commercial
Images Published In:
  • Michael Cotter, ed., The Architectural Heritage of Greenville, North Carolina (1988).

Proctor Hotel

Richmond County Courthouse (Rockingham, Richmond County)

Richmond Rockingham

1922

Contributors:
Dates: 1922-1923
Location: Rockingham, Richmond County
Street Address: Courthouse Square, Rockingham, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Public
Images Published In:
  • Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Piedmont North Carolina (2003).

Richmond County Courthouse

Flora McDonald College (Red Springs, Robeson County)

Robeson Red Springs

1900

Contributors:
Dates: 1900-1910
Location: Red Springs, Robeson County
Street Address: College St., Red Springs, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Educational
Images Published In:
  • Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Eastern North Carolina (1996).
Note:

The architects provided a more elaborate composition for the college main building than was actually built.

Flora McDonald College

Martin-McKinnon House (Red Springs, Robeson County)

Robeson Red Springs

1898

Contributors:
Dates: 1898
Location: Red Springs, Robeson County
Street Address: 225 East 3rd Ave., Red Springs, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Residential

Spray Inn (Eden, Rockingham County)

Rockingham Eden

1900

Contributors:
Dates: Ca. 1900
Location: Eden, Rockingham County
Street Address: Eden, NC
Status: No longer standing
Type:
  • Commercial
Images Published In:
  • Hook and Sawyer, Some Designs by Hook & Sawyer, Architects, Charlotte, N.C. (1902).
  • M. Ruth Little and Claudia Roberts Brown, A Tale of Three Cities: Eden's Heritage: A Pictorial Survey (1986).
Note:

The Spray Inn, shown in a photograph in Hook and Sawyer (1902) was built for the textile industrial community of Spray, which became part of the town of Eden. It was a long, gambrel roofed building combining Shingle and Colonial Revival styles, with a full-length 1-story porch with stout columns.

Hambley-Wallace House (Salisbury, Rowan County)

Rowan Salisbury

1902

Contributors:
Dates: 1902
Location: Salisbury, Rowan County
Street Address: 508 S. Fulton St., Salisbury, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Residential
Images Published In:
  • Catherine W. Bishir, North Carolina Architecture (1990).
  • Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Piedmont North Carolina (2003).
Note:

The grand Châteauesque stone and brick residence was built for Egbert Barry Cornwall Hambley, a Cornish-born civil and mining engineer who came to North Carolina to work in gold mining before becoming involved in development of hydroelectric power on the Yadkin River.

Hambley-Wallace House

Albemarle High School (Albemarle, Stanly County)

Stanly Albemarle

1923

Variant Name(s):
  • Central Elementary School
Contributors:
Dates: 1923
Location: Albemarle, Stanly County
Street Address: 266 N. 3rd St., Albemarle, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Educational

Banks Presbyterian Church (Union County)

Union

1911

Contributors:
Dates: 1911
Location: Union County
Street Address: SR 1315, Marvin, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Religious
Images Published In:
  • Suzanne S. Pickens, ed., Sweet Union: An Architectural and Historical Survey of Union County, North Carolina (1990).

Blakeney House (Monroe, Union County)

Union Monroe

1903

Contributors:
Dates: 1903
Location: Monroe, Union County
Street Address: 418 E. Franklin St., Monroe, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Residential

Eliza Pittman Memorial Auditorium (Raleigh, Wake County)

Wake Raleigh

1906

Contributors:
Dates: Ca. 1906
Location: Raleigh, Wake County
Street Address: St. Mary's School, Hillsborough St., Raleigh, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Educational
Images Published In:
  • Linda L. Harris and Mary Ann Lee, An Architectural and Historical Inventory of Raleigh, North Carolina (1978).

Eliza Pittman Memorial Auditorium

Episcopal Church (Blowing Rock, Watauga County)

Watauga Blowing Rock

1891

Contributors:
Dates: 1891
Location: Blowing Rock, Watauga County
Street Address: Blowing Rock, NC
Status: No longer standing
Type:
  • Religious
Note:

This was one of the projects mentioned in Hook's announcement in the Manufacturers' Record (Oct. 24, 1891); he stated that he had prepared plans for an Episcopal church in Blowing Rock. Whether that church was built is unknown. The congregation of present St. Mary's of the Hills Episcopal Church was founded in 1890; the present church was built in 1918-1921 from designs by New York architect Delaney Robinson. The community is the setting for Jan Karon's popular "Mitford" novels featuring an Episcopal priest and his parishioners.

Carnegie Library (Greensboro, Guilford County)

Guilford Greensboro

1904

Contributors:
Dates: 1904-1906
Location: Greensboro, Guilford County
Street Address: University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC
Status: Altered
Type:
  • Educational
Note:

The Carnegie Library was one of several projects for Hook at present UNCG, where he also planned dormitories and other facilities. It was damaged by fire in 1932 and rebuilt and enlarged in 1933, expanded in 1955, and renovated in the early 21st century.

Mallonee-Jones House (Charlotte, Mecklenburg County)

Mecklenburg Charlotte

1895

Contributors:
Dates: 1895
Location: Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
Street Address: 400 Kingston Ave., Charlotte, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Residential

Craven Memorial Hall (Durham, Durham County)

Durham Durham

1898

Contributors:
Dates: 1898-1899
Location: Durham, Durham County
Street Address: Duke University Campus, Durham, NC
Status: No longer standing
Type:
  • Educational
Images Published In:
  • Claudia P. Roberts (Brown) and Diane E. Lea, The Durham Architectural and Historic Inventory (1982).
Note:

The classically composed building was planned by Hook and Sawyer, one of several Hook commissions for Trinity College. It stood on the present East Campus of Duke University. It is in the right foreground of the postcard image. (The domed building in back of it is the College Library by Hayden, Wheeler, and Schwend of Charlotte.)

Craven Memorial Hall

Chapel Hill Graded School (Chapel Hill, Orange County)

Orange Chapel Hill

1915

Contributors:
Dates: 1915
Location: Chapel Hill, Orange County
Street Address: Franklin St., Chapel Hill, NC
Status: No longer standing
Type:
  • Educational
Note:

The school was located on Franklin Street, southwest of the intersection with Columbia Street, where University Square is currently. It became Chapel Hill High School in 1936, and was demolished in the 1970s.

Grace Episcopal Church (Lexington, Davidson County)

Davidson Lexington

1901

Contributors:
Dates: 1901-1902
Location: Lexington, Davidson County
Street Address: 419 S. Main St., Lexington, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Religious

Grace Episcopal Church

Phillips Hall (Chapel Hill, Orange County)

Orange Chapel Hill

1918

Contributors:
Dates: 1918; 1925-1927
Location: Chapel Hill, Orange County
Street Address: University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
Status: Standing
Type:
  • Educational
Images Published In:
  • M. Ruth Little, The Town and Gown Architecture of Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 1795-1975 (2006).
Note:

The "English Collegiate" style building, whic resembled many high schools of the day, was built to house the departments of mathematics, physics, and engineering. Wings were added by Atwood and Nash.

Southern Manufacturers' Club (Charlotte, Mecklenburg County)

Mecklenburg Charlotte

1908

Contributors:
Dates: 1908-1910
Location: Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
Street Address: 300 W. Trade St.
Status: No longer standing
Type:
  • Commercial
Images Published In:
  • Mary Norton Kratt and Mary Manning Boyer, Remembering Charlotte: Postcards from a New South City, 1905-1950 (2000).
Note:

Built for an exclusive business and social club, the 4-story building had a ballroom, parlors, dining rooms, and guest rooms. C. C. Hook was identified as architect in the Manufacturers\' Record of October 8, 1908.

Southern Manufacturers' Club

C. C. Hook's Work Locations

Bibliography

  • Catherine W. Bishir, Charlotte V. Brown, Carl R. Lounsbury, and Ernest H. Wood III, Architects and Builders in North Carolina: A History of the Practice of Building (1990).
  • Catherine W. Bishir, North Carolina Architecture (1990).
  • Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Eastern North Carolina (1996).
  • Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Piedmont North Carolina (2003).
  • Catherine W. Bishir, Michael T. Southern, and Jennifer F. Martin, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Western North Carolina (1999).
  • Charlotte Vestal Brown Papers, Special Collections Research Center, North Carolina State University Libraries, Raleigh, North Carolina.
  • Charlotte City Directory, 1891, 1892.
  • Lisa Bush Hankin, "Gateway and Century Buildings," Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission Survey & Research Reports, http://www.cmhpf.org/S&RR/gateway.htm.
  • Hook and Sawyer, Some Designs by Hook & Sawyer, Architects, Charlotte, N.C. (1902).
  • Casey Jacobus, "Blueprint for Success in Healthcare Design, FreemanWhite is Designing a Name for Itself," Greater Charlotte Biz (Jan, 2005).
  • Joel A. Kostyu and Frank A. Kostyu, Durham: A Pictorial History (1978).
  • Mary Norton Kratt, Charlotte, Spirit of the New South (1992).
  • Mary Norton Kratt and Mary Manning Boyer, Remembering Charlotte: Postcards from a New South City, 1905-1950 (2000).
  • Mary Norton Kratt and Thomas W. Hanchett, Legacy: The Myers Park Story (1986).
  • Manufacturers' Record, various issues.
  • Michelle Ann Michael, "The Rise of the Regional Architect in North Carolina as Seen Through the Manufacturers' Record, 1890-1910," M. H. P. Thesis, University of Georgia (1994).
  • Dan L. Morrill, Historic Charlotte: An Illustrated History of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County (2001).
  • North Carolina Board of Architecture, Record Book 1915-1992. Microfilmed by North Carolina State Archives, Raleigh, North Carolina.
  • Claudia P. Roberts (Brown) and Diane E. Lea, The Durham Architectural and Historic Inventory (1982).
  • William T. Simmons and Lindsay L. Brooks, Charlotte and Mecklenburg County: A Pictorial History (1977).
  • St. Louis, Missouri City Directory, 1890.
  • United States Census, 1870-1920.
Text Only

Brought to you by The NCSU Libraries and The NCSU Libraries Copyright & Digital Scholarship Center.

Please contact us with any additions, corrections, or updates.

Giving to the Libraries