Chapel Hill St., Durham, NC
No longer standing
Joel A. Kostyu and Frank A. Kostyu, Durham: A Pictorial History (1978).
Claudia P. Roberts (Brown) and Diane E. Lea, The Durham Architectural and Historic Inventory (1982).
The Benjamin Duke House of ca. 1887 was moved about 1910 to make way for Duke’s larger house “Four Acres,” which was later razed (see C. C. Hook). The elevated site is now occupied by the North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance Building. Although Pugin is documented in the Duke papers as having designed the house, it is possible that he was working from a plan from Barber.