Charles Slover House

Contributors:
Hardy B. Lane, Sr., attributed carpenter
Variant Name(s):

Charles Slover House and Dependencies

Dates:

1848-1849

Location:
New Bern, Craven County
Street Address:

201 Johnson St., New Bern, NC

Status:

Standing

Type:

Residential

Images Puslished In:

Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Eastern North Carolina (1996).
Peter B. Sandbeck, The Historic Architecture of New Bern and Craven County, North Carolina (1988).

Note:

The 3-story house of Flemish bond brickwork, accented by brownstone trim, is the most imposing Greek Revival residence surviving in New Bern. It is attributed to carpenter-builder Hardy B. Lane based on similarities with other work in town—especially his documented Griffin Free School. The brickmason for the fine brickwork remains unidentified. It is likely that many other antebellum buildings with similar woodwork were Lane’s as well.