Caswell Square, W. Jones St. between McDowell St. and Dawson St., Raleigh, NC
No longer standing
Elizabeth C. Waugh, North Carolina’s Capital, Raleigh (1967).
The state institution for the deaf and dumb (and blind, originally) was known by many names, and it was expanded and altered by various architects and builders over the years. It was built on Caswell Square, one of the city’s five open squares in the original city plan. The only part that remains is a section designed by Frank Pierce Milburn in 1898. The accompanying postcard image here shows the Cosby section at the right and possibly the center and the (surviving) Milburn addition on the left.