305 Hillsborough St., Raleigh, NC
No longer standing
Elizabeth C. Waugh, North Carolina’s Capital, Raleigh (1967).
According to an account in the News and Observer (April 26, 1942), the large house at 305 Hillsborough St. was built in 1852 by Briggs and Dodd for Lawrence O’Bryan Branch, a congressman and Confederate general, and was later the home of Mrs. Gussie H. Hillyer. “The first house caught fire and burned when just completed and was at once rebuilt.”