Wood Brothers, attributed builders; John C. Wood, attributed builder; Robert B. Wood, attributed builder
Wilmington, New Hanover County
124 S. 5th Ave., Wilmington, NC
Images Puslished In:
Tony P. Wrenn, Wilmington, North Carolina: An Architectural and Historical Portrait (1984).
See unpublished research in author's possession by Ann C. Howell, into the trade of Robert Wood of Philadelphia Ornamental Ironworks. Her investigation of US Customs records of coastwise shipment revealed that J. C. and R. B. Wood ordered 13 boxes of cast iron in November 1851 and another 13 in June 1852. On the H. B. Eilers House, they used pattern No. 57 for the fencing, and pattern No. 17 for the piazza uprights, arches, and railing, and another (undetermined) pattern number for the stairs. These patterns of Wood's ironwork were available earlier, but were published in the 1858 Wood and Perot catalogue owned by the Boston Public Library.The marked iron (Robt. Wood Phila Maker) on the step and the date on the gate of 1852 led to the attribution to J. C. and R. B. Wood as the architect/builders.