Ca. 1820s; 1840s
110 Orange St., Wilmington, NC
Tony P. Wrenn, Wilmington, North Carolina: An Architectural and Historical Portrait (1984).
The elegant, frame residence has been assigned various dates in the 1820s, and its interior details feature late-Federal/early Greek Revival style with symmetrical moldings and corner blocks typical for 1820s. According to Wrenn, Wilmington, it was built for merchant John Hogg about 1825 and transferred in 1829 to Alexander Anderson, whose son James “seems to have moved into this house almost immediately and remained at least until the 1870s.” Wilmington memoirist Nicholas Schenck (1830-1916) noted the house as that of “Jas. Anderson, built by Sol. Nash.” Schenck’s account (ca. 1905) recalled his youth in antebellum Wilmington, when James Anderson was living in the house, so his information seems credible. It is possible that Nash built this house (and others) while he was still a slave, or he might have built it ca. 1829 (after Nash was freed in 1827) for James Anderson. The house is one of the very few for which Schenck noted the name of the artisan who built it.