Ca. 1870; 1880s
NE corner of 3rd St. and Queen St., Wilmington, NC
The 1 1/2-story Second Empire style house was built by Alfred Howe for his own family, and his family members continued to live there until 1984. The family was probably living at this location before the war; it is not certain when he built the present residence, which may reflect more than one period of construction. The Howes were living at that location by 1866-1867, according to the city directory of that year. In 1873 Howe’s daughter Isabella, a schoolteacher, filled out a Freedmen’s Bank application and noted that she was residing there with her family. The house occupies a prominent corner site that is part of an entire block—bounded by Castle, Queen, 3rd, and 4th streets—that was owned by Alfred and his brothers Anthony and Pompey by 1887.