Raleigh, Wake County
North Carolina State University Campus, Raleigh, NC
Broughton Hall (built in 1951) incorporates the older Diesel School (1944), the construction of which was financed by state emergency funds appropriated by governor, later U.S. Senator, Joseph Melville Broughton. It was used to house the Navy's diesel engine training program during World War II. A large fountain, located at the current location of Gardner Arboretum and the Burlington Engineering Laboratories, was actually the cooling radiator for the engines housed in the Diesel School. The photograph shows Diesel School before the construction of Broughton Hall.