1086 Hendersonville Rd., Asheville, NC
The Artisan’s Shop in Biltmore Forest at 350 Vanderbilt Rd., designed by Dodge, which was destroyed in 1982, was begun by George Arthur who as a young boy age 13 began working in the Biltmore Estate Industries started by the Vanderbilts. He stayed with it 18 years and ended as a superintendent. After starting the Artisan’s Shop he operated it with Robert Valier through at least 1932 after which Valier became the only operator. (Note: Dodge also designed Valier’s house at 29 Hilltop Rd.) The Carolina Architecture and Allied Arts, 1942, lists this second Artisan’s Shop as being designed by Dodge, and Valier continues to operate it; the Artisan’s Shop moved from the Vanderbilt Road location to Hendersonville Road in 1941. The building still stands and is currently the Countryside Apartments.