J. B. Ivey Department Store

Contributors:
William Peeps, architect
Variant Name(s):

Ivey’s

Dates:

1924

Location:
Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
Street Address:

127 N. Tryon St., Charlotte, NC

Status:

Altered

Type:

Commercial

Images Puslished In:

Mary Norton Kratt and Mary Manning Boyer, Remembering Charlotte: Postcards from a New South City, 1905-1950 (2000).

Note:

Of the grand department stores that once drew customers from far and wide to downtown Charlotte—Belk’s, Efird’s, and Ivey’s—only the magnificent Gothic Revival style Ivey’s with its terra cotta façades still stands, converted to a new use. According to Dan L. Morrill and Stewart Gray, company founder J. B. Ivey was a devout Methodist, who “insisted that the curtains be drawn in his store windows on Sundays, so that the pedestrians would not be tempted to consider matters of this world on the Lord’s day.”