ca. 1855; 1920s; 1940s
6800 Germanton Rd., Germanton, NC
The two-story, double-pile, Greek Revival dwelling features flush-sheathed pedimented gable ends, large twelve-over-twelve sash windows, two-panel interior doors, and post-and-lintel mantelpieces. The original double-tier, single-bay portico was replaced with the existing full-height porch in the 1940s, but the original door surrounds with Tavis’s asymmetrical sidelights and multi-light transoms exist at both the upper and lower floors. The house was most likely built for William and Olivia Gibson Stedman—he being an investor in the school that was to occupy the Mays-Bynum House—between their marriage in 1848 and William’s death in 1857.