University Lodge Motel

Coffey Family, contractors; John N. Coffey, contractor; John W. Coffey and Son, contractors; Archie Royal Davis, architect

early 1960s

Chapel Hill, Orange County
Street Address:

NC 54, Chapel Hill, NC


No longer standing



Images Published In:

Daily Tar Heel, Mar. 19, 1952.


The Daily Tar Heel of Mar. 19, 1952, carried an article about the soon to be built University Lodge, a “motor court” with 34 rooms which was to help accommodate the growing numbers of visitors anticipated when the University of North Carolina hospital was completed. It was to be built in a “brick colonial design in keeping with Chapel Hill architecture.” After many years as a favorite Tar Heel inn, it was razed for new development. Drawings for the University Lodge are in the Archie Royal Davis Collection, Special Collections Research Center, NCSU Libraries.