Brevard College Campus, Brevard, NC
After World War II, Gaines became college architect for the small Methodist college, which (as an undated but probably ca. 1946-1947 clipping from an Asheville newspaper reported) had begun a proposed expansion of the college. Anticipating funding from the Methodist College Advance campaign, the school planned to construct an infirmary, science building, auditorium, two boys’ dorms, and a central heating plant as well as to remodel present buildings. Gaines was to take charge of drafting the plans. An undated birdseye view of the campus signed by Gaines shows a formal arrangement of about a dozen buildings, most of them in red brick with classical detailing. Among the first built were the Mary Frances Stamey Memorial Infirmary (1947, Pack Memorial Library Architectural Collection, SA0653) and the Addison Jones Library (1947-1948), featured in the Greensboro Daily News of Aug. 22, 1947. Work continued for several years. Further research is needed to determine the status and current names of these and others of the campus buildings Gaines designed.