1700 Dogwood Mile
North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office: St. Andrews Presbyterian College Laurinburg Scotland County SC0363 photographs by Heather Fearnbach May 2015 (https://files.nc.gov/ncdcr/nr/SC0363.pdf).
As in planning the present University of North Carolina at Charlotte, when Odell’s firm gained the commission to design the master plan and initial buildings at present St. Andrews Presbyterian College, the 225-acre site provided a clean slate for the campus development. Formed by the merger of Flora Macdonald College in Red Springs and Presbyterian Junior College in Maxton, the new school’s name (like one of its predecessors) reflected the region’s Scots heritage. The Odell firm, with Richard P. Leaman as lead designer for the project, worked in collaboration with the distinguished landscape architect Lewis James Clarke of the North Carolina State University School of Design to create an ensemble of buildings, driveways, a variety of plantings, and a lake. For the buildings, Odell’s firm selected a clean-lined, unpretentious modernist vocabulary of rectilinear forms rendered in earth-toned taupe concrete aggregate and brick, which contrasts with the windows in aluminum frames. Odell aimed for a consistent vocabulary throughout the campus, and that premise has been generally continued. See Heather Fearnbach, “St. Andrews Presbyterian College,” National Register of Historic Places Nomination, 2015.