801 Mulberry St.
After the Beaufort Graded School of 1926 burned on February 4, 1945, local leaders commissioned Stephens to design a replacement slightly larger than its predecessor but as economically as possible in response to wartime restrictions on building materials. It was a straightforward, 2-story brick building with a central pavilion. According to the Beaufort News of May 31, 1945, it would be “noteworthy for its fireproof construction and its superb architectural proportions,” and would be “devoid of monumental and ornate gee-gaws.” The board of education for the board of education “in agreement with the architect,” determined that “fancy work which would run the cost of the building up without adding to its scholastic value can well be dispensed with.” The use of wood would be minimized “because of its fire hazard qualities, its high cost and War Production Board disapproval.” See http://beaufortartist.blogspot.com/2017/05/early-beaufort-public-schools.html. In 2019 it was adapted to a new use.