920 N. 6th St. and Harnett St.
No longer standing
Beverly Tetterton, Wilmington: Lost But Not Forgotten (2005)
Very similar to Stephens’s surviving school in Clinton, this 2-story brick school featured robust classical details and a massive portico of Ionic columns. It contained eight classrooms, a cafeteria in the basement, an auditorium, and a library. From its construction in 1914 until it closed in 1942, the Cornelius Harnett School served white children. In 1949 it reopened as a school for African-American students, and in 1952 it was renamed for James B. Dudley, a Wilmingtonian who became president of North Carolina Agricultural and Technical College in Greensboro. After desegregation, the school served students of both races until it closed in 1983, then housed a Head Start program. Following unsuccessful efforts to preserve it, the school was condemned in 2005 and razed.