5th and 6th Sts. Between Grace and Chestnut Sts.
No longer standing
Beverly Tetterton, Wilmington: Lost But Not Forgotten (2005)
The Wilmington Morning Star of Sept. 23, 1914, reported that completion of the school was expected in November. The Hemenway name traces back to the school built in 1870-1871 at another site and named for benefactor Mary Tileston Hemenway. That facility and its successor became too small, and this large school was built. The 2-story brick school with raised basement had entrances on both 5th and 6th streets and featured Stephens’s characteristically robust classical detailing including a central entrance portico. It served as an elementary school for many years and then as offices for the New Hanover County Board of Education. It was destroyed by fire on May 16, 1971.