600 Morgan Rd.
Claudia Roberts Brown, A Tale of Three Cities, 1986
According to the church history, the congregation began as a Sunday school in 1906 and grew in the early 20th century. In 1924 work began on the simple Gothic Revival church of local stone. Tradition recalls that members of the congregation collected rocks from farmers’ fields in the nearby Axton and Cascade areas of Virginia. Thus the building became known locally as “the Rock Church.” The first service in the new building was held February 7, 1926. Bishop Joseph Blount Cheshire consecrated the church in December of that year, and by 1932 the congregation had exceeded 200.