Douglass School

Contributors:
James W. Hopper, architect
Dates:

1939

Location:
Eden, Rockingham County
Street Address:

1130 Center Church Rd.

Status:

Standing

Type:

Educational

Images Published In:

Claudia Roberts Brown, A Tale of Three Cities, 1986

Note:

Named for the abolitionist leader Frederick Douglass and built to serve local black students, the brick school replaced a predecessor of 1930 which burned in 1939. A plaque on the main fa├žade of the gable-front auditorium identifies the school as a Public Works Administration project. Initially including both primary and secondary grades, the school was eventually converted to an elementary school. The auditorium and wings still stand, and there is a large new elementary school south of the historic building.