Walthall, John A. (fl. ca. 1840s)
John A. Walthall (fl. ca. 1840) may have been related to Francis Walthall. He constructed the red brick, Greek Revival style Granville County Courthouse, and was commended upon its completion in “faithful and masterly fashion.” It is one of the oldest courthouses in the state still in use; however, no other works have been identified. The Walthall family was a numerous one in Virginia, and included men named Francis and John. By 1840, John was head of a household in Granville County, but was not listed in North Carolina in 1850.
- Granville County Accounts and Correspondence, North Carolina State Archives, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Contributors:John A. Walthall, builderDates:
1838-1840Location:Oxford, Granville CountyStreet Address:
101 Main St., Oxford, NCStatus:
PublicImages Puslished In:
Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Piedmont North Carolina (2003).
Marvin A. Brown and Andrew J. Carlson, Heritage and Homesteads: The History and Architecture of Granville County, North Carolina (1988).