Franklin St., Chapel Hill, NC
No longer standing
Mary Ann Evans Southerland, widowed in 1841, bought property on Franklin St. and built a house in the 1850s. According to a letter from Lucy Battle of Chapel Hill, Mrs. Southerland had initially intended to have Hillsborough builder John Berry construct her house, but after traveling through Warrenton and seeing work of Jacob W. Holt, she decided to employ the Warrenton builder instead. Holt probably sent his lead workman John A. Waddell to manage the job, during which time Waddell met and married his wife, Susan. The house featured all the hallmarks of the Holt Greek Revival-Italianate style, including the decorative porch. It was destroyed in the 20th century.