Coolmore Plantation

Contributors:
Ernst Dreyer, painter; Edmund George Lind, architect; E. A. Sherman, builder
Dates:

1858-1861

Location:
Tarboro, Edgecombe County
Street Address:

US 64A, Tarboro vicinity, NC

Status:

Standing

Type:

Residential

Images Puslished In:

Catherine W. Bishir, North Carolina Architecture (1990).
Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Eastern North Carolina (1996).

Note:

Powell family papers (privately held) document thoroughly Lind’s role in planning the house, ordering furnishings and other items from Baltimore, and other accounts. The house was completed on the eve of the Civil War. Regarded today as one of the most completely preserved of his residences, as well as a remarkably intact work of the Baltimore decorative painter Ernst Dreyer, Coolmore descended in the Powell family, who maintained it in its original condition, including its Italianate style outbuildings, furnishings, decorative paintings, and landscape. Dreyer’s art is not actually fresco (painted in wet plaster) but paint on plaster; it is illustrated in Bishir, North Carolina Architecture. Coolmore is currently a stewardship property of the non-profit preservation organization, Preservation North Carolina.