First Baptist Church

Contributors:
Hardy B. Lane, Sr., carpenter; T. Thomas and Son, architects
Dates:
1845-1848
Location:
New Bern, Craven County
Street Address:
239 Middle St., New Bern, NC
Status:
Standing
Type:
Religious
Images Puslished In:
Catherine W. Bishir, North Carolina Architecture (1990).
Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Eastern North Carolina (1996).
Peter B. Sandbeck, The Historic Architecture of New Bern and Craven County, North Carolina (1988).
Note:
Lane was the carpenter for the Gothic Revival church, one of the first non-Episcopal churches in the Gothic Revival style in the state; it was built from a design, local tradition states, by the architectural firm of T. Thomas and Son. The church follows a popular, symmetrical form with central entrance tower seen earlier at Wilmington's St. James Episcopal Church (Thomas U. Walter) and others. It is of brick laid in Flemish bond and, like other New Bern brick buildings of its era, it is trimmed in brownstone. The church has been altered and gained many additions over the years, but the external character of the antebellum church remains.The brickmason has not been identified.