United States Custom House

Contributors:
John S. Norris, architect
Dates:

1843-1847

Location:
Wilmington, New Hanover County
Street Address:

N. Water St., Wilmington, NC

Status:

No longer standing

Type:

Public

Images Published In:

Catherine W. Bishir, North Carolina Architecture (1990).

Note:

In the United States Custom House, Norris employed the classical order of the Tower of the Winds of Athens, doubtless copied from Stuart and Revett’s Antiquities of Athens. This elegant order became popular in antebellum North Carolina. It was used earlier at the North Carolina State Capitol in Raleigh, and it also gained renewed use in the early 20th century in Wilmington, Raleigh, and elsewhere. Although Norris’s Custom House in Wilmington was razed to make way for its successor, that building repeated the design of Norris’s façade in its end bays. An image of Norris’s Custom House also appears in the mural in the United States Post Office in Wilmington.