All Souls Episcopal Cathedral

Contributors:
Richard Morris Hunt, architect
Dates:
1895
Location:
Asheville, Buncombe County
Street Address:
All Souls Crescent, Biltmore Village, Asheville vicinity, NC
Status:
Standing
Type:
Religious
Images Puslished In:
Catherine W. Bishir, North Carolina Architecture (1990).
Catherine W. Bishir, Michael T. Southern, and Jennifer F. Martin, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Western North Carolina (1999).
Note:
One of Richard Morris Hunt's last works before his death in 1895, the powerfully composed and beautifully detailed church in the form of a short-naved Greek cross embodied his ideas about church planning for maximum hearing and sight by the congregation. The church, originally built as a chapel for the Vanderbilts, is now the cathedral for the Episcopal Diocese of Western North Carolina. According to some observers it is one of Hunt's best and least-noticed late works, and is by all accounts one of the most beautiful late 19th century churches in North Carolina.