P. Thornton Marye, probable architect
Hickory, Catawba County
1st Ave. NW at 2nd St. NW, Hickory, NC
No longer standing
Images Puslished In:
Kirk Franklin Mohney and Laura A. W. Phillips, From Tavern to Town: The Architectural History of Hickory, North Carolina (1988).
In 1914 a notice in the Manufacturers' Record stated that P. Thornton Marye had designed the First National Bank in Hickory, to be built with granite and terra cotta; the contractor was to be J. A. Jones. The Beaux-Arts classical bank depicted in postcards is believed to be Marye's design; it was replaced by an Art Deco building in 1941, which still stands.