George W. Watts House
806 S. Duke St., Durham, NC
No longer standing
Joel A. Kostyu and Frank A. Kostyu, Durham: A Pictorial History (1978).
Claudia P. Roberts (Brown) and Diane E. Lea, The Durham Architectural and Historic Inventory (1982).
The stone and shingled mansion in towered Chateauesque style was one of several grand residences built for Durham’s industrial elite in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It was the second house built in Durham for George Watts, who came to Durham from Baltimore in 1878. With aid from his tobacconist father of Baltimore, he soon became a partner in W. Duke and Sons. (Watts’s first house in Durham was a Queen Anne style residence, completed in 1880 for him and his wife, Laura Valinda BealE Watts, and their daughter Annie, who later married financier and philanthropist John Sprunt Hill). The plans for the 1897 mansion are imprinted with “Rand and Taylor Kendall and Stevens, architects” of Boston. See opendurham.org for the plans and photographs. It was razed in 1961.