Zebulon Latimer House

James F. Post, carpenter; Wood Brothers, masons; John C. Wood, mason; Robert B. Wood, mason


Wilmington, New Hanover County
Street Address:

126 South 3rd St., Wilmington, NC





Images Published In:

Catherine W. Bishir, North Carolina Architecture (1990).
Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Eastern North Carolina (1996).
Tony P. Wrenn, Wilmington, North Carolina: An Architectural and Historical Portrait (1984).


See unpublished research in author’s possession by Ann Howell, Ph.D., into the trade of Robert Wood of Philadelphia Ornamental Ironworks. Her investigation of US Customs records of coastwise shipment revealed that J. C. and R. B. Wood ordered 13 boxes of cast iron in November 1851 and another 13 in June 1852. On the Latimer House, they used pattern No. 246 for the veranda railing and grapevine uprights and arches, pattern No. 17 and pattern No. 480 for pair of panels beneath rear casement windows. These patterns of Wood’s ironwork were available earlier, but were published in the 1858 Wood and Perot catalogue owned by the Boston Public Library.