1888-1889; 1928 [renovated]
North Carolina State University Campus, Raleigh, NC
Burton F. Beers and Murray Scott Downs, North Carolina State University: A Pictorial History (1986).
Catherine W. Bishir, North Carolina Architecture (1990).
Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Piedmont North Carolina (2003).
Elizabeth C. Waugh, North Carolina’s Capital, Raleigh (1967).
Originally called Main Building, the building opened for students in the fall of 1889 and, for a short time, was the only building on campus. It was subsequently named for Alexander Quarles Holladay, the first president of the North Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts, now North Carolina State University. In 1928, the building underwent extensive renovations under the supervision of Hobart Upjohn. Holladay Hall still serves as the main administration building of the university.