Lilly Library

Contributors:
Julian Abele, architect; Horace Trumbauer Firm, architects
Dates:
1928
Location:
Durham, Durham County
Street Address:
East Campus, Duke University, Durham, NC
Status:
Standing
Type:
Educational
Note:
The Library building is situated half way down the open quadrangle, slightly recessed, fronting a circular ellipse opposite the Union. Its portico of Ionic columns copies the auditorium and the Union, giving a sense of diversity and unity among the sameness of the other ten buildings. A portion of this building also served as the Art Museum until 1969. It was named Lilly Library in 1990 after Ruth Lilly, an Indiana philanthropist. Several members of the Lilly family graduated from Duke.