Faculty Houses

Contributors:
Julian Abele, architect; Horace Trumbauer Firm, architects
Dates:
1930
Location:
Durham, Durham County
Street Address:
West Campus, Duke University, Durham, NC
Status:
Standing
Type:
Residential
Note:
Fifteen faculty/administrative houses were planned and most were built along then Myrtle, now Campus Drive, the private road uniting the Woman's College with the new Gothic Campus for undergraduates and the professional schools. The houses were of varying style and were for selected faculty and administrators. The most prominent were the house for the president, now used by the Admissions Office, and the one for the vice president, now used by the Development Office. Most are being moved or demolished to make room for a major expansion of the university currently being planned. They long ago ceased to be family residences.