Divinity School and Gray Building

Contributors:
Julian Abele, architect; Horace Trumbauer Firm, architects
Dates:
1930
Location:
Durham, Durham County
Street Address:
West Campus, Duke University, Durham, NC
Status:
Standing
Type:
Educational
Note:
The Divinity School gained its own visual identity when the Kilgo portico was added in 1965. Originally these two side-by-side classroom buildings had identical arched entrances. The addition of an extended portico with a distinctive stone carving identifying the Divinity School brought that building in line with others in the main quadrangle with prominent identifying stone carvings. A considerable addition was completed at the same time but it was not visible from the Chapel Court.