Alamance Hotel; Hotel Alamance
514 S. Main St., Burlington, NC
Allison Harris Black, An Architectural History of Burlington, North Carolina (1987).
The 7-story hotel, built during a period of growth for “Bigger, Better Burlington, is one of two structures that dominate the skyline of Burlington. The town originated as Company Shops but developed into a business and textile manufacturing center. The hotel was built by a local corporation to boost the community’s stature and prosperity and designed by architect Charles C. Hartmann, was an important Greensboro architect from New York. He had gone to Greensboro to supervise construction of the O. Henry Hotel and is best known for his classically organized Jefferson Standard Life Insurance Company in Greensboro. The brick structure follows the classical base-shaft-capital organization popular for tall buildings in the first half of the 20th century, with elaborate terra cotta ornament, especially at the seventh story. Hartmann’s 1923-1924 plans for the hotel reportedly survive. The Clayton News of July 9, 1925, noted that workmen were putting down carpets and placing furniture in advance of the opening of the new hotel planned for July 10. With elegant public spaces including a fine ballroom, it was a prestigious center of local social life into the mid-20th century. It closed in 1974 and has been renovated for a new use. See Claudia P. Roberts, Alamance Hotel National Register of Historic Places nomination, 1983.