Redding Dr., High Point, NC
Benjamin Briggs, The Architecture of High Point, North Carolina: A History and Guide to the City’s Houses, Churches and Public Buildings (2008).
Commissioned by industrialist F. M. Pickett, the large cotton mill was completed by 1916 when a promotional publication by J. J. Farriss reported, “the mill construction is of brick with reinforced concrete and iron. The copper guttering and pipe has lead splashings. These modern points of construction make the mill one of the best and safest in every way.” Moreover, reported Farriss, “Every detail in the construction of the plant has been with a view to permanency and safety, insuring a system in its operation and a safeguard against accidents and fire unequaled in a majority of cotton mills.” The mill was expanded and operated by the Pickett family into the late 20th century. A few associated mill houses also stand.