Warren Plains, NC
Kenneth McFarland, The Architecture of Warren County, North Carolina, 1770s to 1860s (2001).
One of the few mid-19th century buildings surviving of the Raleigh and Gaston line, the board and batten frame depot is probably that for which lumber was “on the ground” in 1863 and construction was expected soon. It was identified as the Warrenton depot; although it was a few miles outside of town it was the closest stop to Warrenton. Since Thomas J. Holt was architect for the Raleigh and Gaston, he probably designed the building, and it seems likely that his brother Jacob would have built it. The structure, which features large, arched openings, was probably a freight depot.