Edenton, Chowan County
109 and 111 E. Church St., Edenton, NC
Images Puslished In:
Thomas R. Butchko, Edenton, an Architectural Portrait: The Historic Architecture of Edenton, North Carolina (1992).
The 2-story, frame academy building originally stood on nearby Court St.; it was moved in 1895 to Church St. and divided into two buildings and remodeled extensively. Much of the ca. 1800 finish remains inside. Josiah Collins, owner of Joe Welcome, was an organizer of the academy (with Samuel Johnston, president, and William Blair, secretary) and served as its treasurer as well as on the building committee.