End of Church St., Durham, NC
No longer standing
Joel A. Kostyu and Frank A. Kostyu, Durham: A Pictorial History (1978).
The Orange Grove Methodist Church congregation, established in a rural church in the 1830s, moved to Durham in 1860 and soon changed its name to Durham Methodist Church and later to Trinity Methodist (1886). The Duke and Carr families were among the leading members. Church history accounts identify the architect as “A. West, an architect from Richmond, Virginia.” West reportedly drew the plans in six months around 1883-1884. It burned on January 21, 1923, in a spectacular fire, and the church records were largely destroyed in the fire. The successor church building, Trinity United Methodist Church, was designed by Ralph Adams Cram.