3rd St. at Chestnut St., Winston-Salem, NC
Molly Grogan Rawls, Winston-Salem: Then and Now (2008).
See Manufacturers’ Record (Aug. 26, 1915; Oct. 14, 1915). A report from the field (thanks to Heather Fearnbach) indicates the following: This may be the R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Factory #12 at 201 N. Chestnut St., built by the National Fireproofing Company of Philadelphia. Only the interior survives, for it has been incorporated into the new Forsyth County Governmental Center, which now occupies the site (the block bounded by E. 2nd St., N. Chestnut St., E. 3rd St., N. Patterson Ave.). The tobacco building stands at the north end of the new building and was reused as a parking deck. Concrete mushroom columns and formed concrete floors indicate its previous use. All of the windows were removed, and new exterior walls were constructed in keeping with the design of the new building. The parapet on the north (3rd St.) side recalls the original parapet, inscribed “1916 Bldg #12 R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company.”