1851-1853; ca. 1905 [remodeled]
New Bern, Craven County
500 block, N side of Broad St., New Bern, NC
No longer standing
Images Puslished In:
Peter B. Sandbeck, The Historic Architecture of New Bern and Craven County, North Carolina (1988).
The brick house (pictured by Sandbeck) was built in castellated Gothic Revival style by Hardy B. Lane, Sr. for Isaac Hughes, one of New Bern's richest men in the 1850s. In one of the city's most thorough-going residential remodelings, Herbert Simpson redesigned it as a Colonial Revival residence with tall classical portico. It was demolished in the mid-20th century.