604 Johnson St., New Bern, NC
Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Eastern North Carolina (1996).
Peter B. Sandbeck, The Historic Architecture of New Bern and Craven County, North Carolina (1988).
St. Cyprian’s Episcopal Church, founded by 1866, was one of the earliest if not the earliest African-American Episcopal congregations in the state. The congregation met in a frame building, formerly a Baptist church, on this site until 1910, when construction began on the imposing brick edifice designed by Simpson. The cornerstone reads, “St. Cyprian’s Church, Built 1910, H. S. Simpson, architect.”