Corner of 4th St. and Campbell St., Wilmington, NC
No longer standing
Mary Tileston Hemenway of Boston funded construction of two schools in Wilmington. One was the Hemenway School at 4th and Campbell Streets (NLS), named for her husband; the other, named Tileston School on Ann St., still stands with several additions. Taylor’s role in building Hemenway School is noted in William Reaves and Beverly Tetterton, “Strength Through Struggle”: The Chronological and Historical Record of the African-American Community in Wilmington, North Carolina, 1865-1900 (1998). A successor Hemenway School was built by contractor James F. Post at 210 N. 5th St. It too has been lost.