Kenan Stadium

Contributors:
Thomas C. Atwood, engineer; William M. Kendall, consulting architect; McKim, Mead and White, consulting architects; Arthur C. Nash, architect; T. C. Thompson, contractors
Dates:

1927-1934

Location:
Chapel Hill, Orange County
Street Address:

University of North Carolina Campus, Chapel Hill, NC

Status:

Altered

Type:

Recreational

Images Puslished In:

William S. Powell, The First State University: A Pictorial History of the University of North Carolina (1992).

Note:

Kenan Stadium has been much enlarged and changed over the years to accommodate larger crowds and more elaborate seating areas. Still remaining from Nash’s design is the Beaux-Arts plaque with the names of William Rand Kenan and his wife who dedicated the structure to his parents. It is set against Nash’s original stones. For Kenan Stadium, 12 blueprints, tracings, and oilcloth drawings from Atwood and Nash are at University of North Carolina Library, Chapel Hill, in Collection Number 40102, “Physical Plant of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Records, 1904-1963.”