Wilmington Union Station
Front St. and Red Cross Sts., Wilmington, NC
No longer standing
Susan Taylor Block, Cape Fear Lost (1999).
Beverly Tetterton, Wilmington: Lost But Not Forgotten (2005).
The 6-story edifice served as union station for the lines that made Wilmington a railroad hub, including the ACL. The Wilmington Star reported on Jan. 6, 1912, that Leitner was architect for the ACL union station and office building, which were anticipated to cost $300,000. On Feb. 5, 1913, the Star noted, “Mr. Joseph F. Leitner, the architect, was present to explain the location of an ornamental shed at the new union station, suspended over the streets, for the protection of pedestrians and passengers. No objection to its location was presented by Council, after the plans and drawings were inspected.” It was one of several massive railroad buildings in Wilmington, nearly all of which were destroyed after the ACL moved its headquarters to Florida in 1960. See Beverly Tetterton, Wilmington: Lost But Not Forgotten (2005), for a photograph of its implosion in 1970.