Chapel Hill St., Durham, NC
C. David Jackson and Charlotte V. Brown, History of the North Carolina Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, 1913-1998 (1998).
The tall building on its elevated site epitomizes the clean-lined Miesian esthetic. Home Security Life officers Arthur Clark and George Watts Hill Jr. sought a first-class modernist design and consulted with Henry Kamphoefner, dean of the School of Design. Although the elder George Watts Hill preferred a more traditional design, he agreed to the younger men’s idea. The company elected the internationally known New York firm of Raymond and Rado and employed Small as local architect. Believed to be the first Miesian office building in the state, the elegant skyscraper received an NCAIA Award of Merit in 1959. In recent years it has housed the Durham Police Headquarters. Its future is uncertain.