Oaklawn Ave. and Statesville Ave., Charlotte, NC
No longer standing
The large federally funded housing development that opened in 1940 was built for low income black residents as one of the Charlotte’s first efforts at public housing. Like many such projects of its time, it was designed by a prominent local architect and seen as a great advance over previous housing. It consisted mainly of brick row houses. The area has been completely redeveloped.