Webb Ave. at railroad tracks, Burlington, NC
The only remaining building from the many that composed the antebellum repair facility is a much-altered brick foundry. A later survival from the complex is the ca. 1870 Engine House alongside the railroad tracks, a long building of brick laid in 1:4 bond and featuring large windows, buttresses, and a corbeled cornice. See Allison Harris Black, An Architectural History of Burlington, North Carolina (1987) and the Seventh Annual Report of the North Carolina Rail Road, 1856 (Raleigh, Holden and Wilson, 1856).