Charles W. and Gladys Avery Tillett House
2200 Sherwood Ave., Charlotte, NC
Gladys Avery Tillett, a native of Morganton, was one of the state’s most important political leaders during the early and mid-20th century. A native of Morganton, she graduated from the Woman’s College in Greensboro in 1915 and married Charlotte attorney Charles W. Tillett, Jr., in 1917. The couple had three children. Mrs.Tillett’s interest in politics and women’s suffrage led her to numerous accomplishments, as a founder and president of the state’s chapter of the League of Women Voters in the 1920s and an officer in the state Democratic party as well as a delegate to the Democratic National Convention in 1932, 1936, and 1940. She was co-director of the senatorial campaign of Frank Porter Graham. She was actively involved with the early United Nations and other international efforts, and she and Charles attended various conferences together. A proponent of the Equal Rights Amendment since the 1920s, during the late 1960s and early 1970s, she worked for its ratification and was president of the North Carolina chapter of E.R.A. United in 1974 and 1975. She died in 1984.