Hamilton C. Jones III and Bessie Jones House
201 Cherokee Rd., Charlotte, NC
The massive Tudor Revival residence in granite is among Charlotte’s principal examples of that style, which was especially popular in Charlotte. Boyer’s renderings of the house are dated 1928. Asymmetrical in form and plan, it combines various materials including half-timbering and copper and has a richly finished interior. Hamilton C. Jones III was a local attorney and civic and political figure. Bessie Smedes Erwin Jones was the daughter of textile magnate William Allen Erwin and a granddaughter of Aldert [sic] Smedes, founder of St. Mary’s school in Raleigh. It was actually Bessie to whom the future site of their house was deeded in 1929. Family history states that her father W. A. Erwin offered the couple stone from his quarry in Alamance County, but they chose instead the variegated, warm-hued stone from an Orange County quarry, the same that was later used for Duke University’s West Campus. It is located in the exclusive Eastover suburb, which was established in 1927 as Charlotte’s first automobile suburb and planned by Earle Sumner Draper. Craftsmen worked for three years to complete the project.