4884 Chapel Hill Rd., Laurel community, Madison County, NC
Presbyterian missionary Frances Goodrich helped to organize White Rock Hospital, the first and only hospital built in Madison County. Dr. George Packard of Massachusetts served as the first physician in charge. William Lord designed the building, with drawings dating from 1916 and 1917. The hospital was completed in 1919 and remained open until the 1940s. See Pack SA1066, Pack Memorial Library, Asheville, and Francis R. Bellamy, The Story of White Rock (New York: Education Department, Board of Home Missions of the Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A., 1921).